Setting up SNMPD on ReadyNAS Duo v110 Feb 2018
The ReadyNas Duo v1 is fairly old now, but is still perfectly capable of providing up to 2TB of shared RAID storage over gigabit ethernet. While it does offer email alerting, I’d prefer to add it to Observium with the rest of my lab, as that’s where the rest of my monitoring is done. Turns out this is actually fairly easy to set up.
- Power on with new drives and follow reset process.
- Set up networking and connect to network.
- Upgrade to latest firmware.
- Install Toggle SSH patch
- Install Enable Root SSH patch
- Install APT patch
- SSH to NAS
ssh root@nas-ipusing admin password
- Install snmpd
apt-get install snmpd
- Configure snmpd.conf
rocommunity <secret> syslocation Auckland, New Zealand syscontact Tom Henderson
- Restart snmpd service
- You should now be able to connect to the NAS over SNMP
- Finally we need to make sure snmpd starts if the system reboots, by running
ln -s ../init.d/snmpd /etc/rc3.d/S99smnp